Monday, September 7, 2009

Tomorrow When the War Began - The Movie

Now, I’m sure some of you already knew that work has begun on transforming John Marsden’s book Tomorrow When the War Began into a movie, but I’ve just found out. I read on IMDB that they announced the casting of Caitlin Stasey as Ellie Linton, the central character of the books. They announced back in June that Stuart Beattie would be co-writing the screen play. It is to be filmed in the Hunter Valley in NSW.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Tomorrow series. I absolutely love the writing and the beauty of the scenery that John Marsden has described. I love the way he has put together some teenagers and described them all so well, the relationships they have and the way they grow up just seems so right. I absolutely hate the emotions that the writing engenders. These stories are about growing up in a war zone and I know of so many people in other countries who are doing this at this moment in time that it makes it that much harder when the war being described is in my home country. I’ve heard so much of what it is like to live and grow up in a war zone, to become someone so different to a similar person growing up in a place such as Australia which is relatively peaceful. I’ve found with the Tomorrow series that I don’t have to put my imagination at work to find out how it might be as I’m sure they’re pretty close to reality.

I can’t wait to see the movie to see how they’ve treated the book and to see if they’ve done a good job. On the other hand, I really don’t want to see it as it will be so hard emotionally. I know that if I do see it I’ll have to be prepared and take a box of tissues as just remembering the books I have tears rolling down my face. It’s a good thing I’m a touch typist and don’t need to see the screen to know what I’m typing as I’m really struggling.

[Via http://suzsspace.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment