Monday, September 28, 2009

Making a Baby Quilt – Step 3: Appliqué Block #3,4,5,6

Scottie from Easy Appliqué Blocks by Kay Mackenzie

This is one of three blocks I’ve just completed for the baby quilt I’m making using the great

appliqué patterns in Kay’s book. Since the dog is a Scottie, I decided to use a plaid fabric for his bow.

On all three of four, the outlines are only roughly cut at the moment. As mentioned previously, I’ll be trimming them more accurately later and using satin stitching as a quilt stitch.

Moon and Stars from Easy Appliqué Blocks by Kay Mackenzie

I would have preferred a blue sky fabric for the background but limited myself to using the white on white background for all of the appliqué blocks in this quilt. (Why it looks pink in this photo, I’ve no idea.) I have also limited myself to using whatever fabrics I have on hand so decided to use all of my yellow fabrics.

Sunflowers from Easy Appliqué Blocks by Kay Mackenzie

I like the batik fabric center for the sunflowers. What a cheerful block!

Chicken from Easy Appliqué Blocks by Kay Mackenzie

I really had fun with this one! At first, choosing colours from my stash seemed to be quite the challenge, but I consulted with my husband – my resident artist – and he chose the fabric for the chicken’s comb and wattle. Once that was done, everything fell into place and the rest of the fabrics began shouting, “Choose me!” so I did. The term “funky chicken” immediately came to mind (refers to both a song and a dance, I think) and so did Florine Johnson’s Radical Roosters. Thinking of them, I couldn’t resist going wild with the colours and I’m absolutely delighted with him. The colours make me think of this as my Easter Egg Chicken.

Click on any of the photos to read about Kay’s book and to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment