Friday, September 18, 2009

Sisters of the Sword

With a full time job and a 15-month-old daughter at home, I don’t get a lot of time to read.  So I get creative.  I prop open a book while I dry my hair.  I read over my morning bowl of cereal before my daughter wakes up.  And I sneak in a few minutes over lunch when I can.

Sisters of the Sword by Maya Snow is about two Japanese sisters (Kimi and Hana) whose father and brothers are murdered by a rival samurai.  Fearing for their lives, the girls disguise themselves as boys and decide to train as warriors in the hopes that they can one day have revenge on the murderer.

If you like Japanese culture, you’ll enjoy this book.  The clothing, food, and language are historically accurate and add flavor to the tale.  If you liked the movie The Last Samurai, you’ll enjoy this glimpse into the culture of Japanese martial arts.  Stop by the media center to check it out, or put it on hold if it’s checked out already.

No comments:

Post a Comment