Tuesday, September 15, 2009

'Stories' gets another review and I get a nifty stamp

I love getting letters in the mail. Not only is it refreshing and dramatic and delicious to receive good news in the form of a paper letter which you tear open in anticipation, it is always interesting to take note of the kinds of stamps people use. For example, I know a certain podcaster who always uses Darth Vader stamps when filing her taxes. These days a lot of people are using up their 42 cent stamps by adding those little 2 cent ones. Me, I’m too lazy to keep buying 2-cent stamps so of late I’ve been just slapping two whole 42 cent stamps on all my letters and hoping for the best. I know it’s wasteful, but I just tell myself it’s a tip for the post office. They need all the help they can get. And anyway, I have an uncle who works for the USPS, and I also happen to like my dog-biscuit-carrying mailman very much. So does my dog.

So anyway … This might be the coolest stamp I’ve ever received on a letter. George and Gracie! In a tiny television set! Where do they get those?

This adorable little stamp came bearing good news, as it should. It was attached to a notifications that Midwest Book Review has given my little book, “Stories of Clean Living, the Dutch-American Way” a recommendation! They’ve very graciously posted the review on Amazon, as well as on the MBR website’s September online magazine, “Small Press Bookwatch.” You can take a gander right here, by scrolling down to the biography section. Pretty cool.

Actually, I do know where they get those cool stamps. They’re donated. The MBR is a not a profit-making business. They place priority on small, independent presses and self-published authors. I’m guessing, there’s not a lot of dough in providing a service like that. In return, authors and publishers (and I would guess anybody else) can help out by donating stamps. If ya’ll feel inspired to do so, you can mail your donated stamps to:

The Midwest Book Review

278 Orchard Drive

Oregon, WI 53575

To get an idea of what this review is talking about, you can read a sample essay, and the book can be ordered through Amazon.com or createspace.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment