Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Casting on

  ”I asked him if he played the fiddle.”

“What?” Rebecca went back into the bedroom as she started to brush her teeth.

“Well, you said the man you marry will have red hair and play the Irish fiddle.”          

This quote  doesn’t do the book justice, but it does tell you a bit about the character of Rebecca. In a conservation with the author, she reveals, that “Rebecca tries to do it by describing a person completely improbable  (redheaded, fiddle-playing Irishman are not common in the current 6.7 billion world population.)” Rebecca doesn’t want to find love but her daughter want’s her to. So the first man her daughter meets that has red hair, she ask if he plays the fiddle. 

I cried beginning on page 107 then continued to cry on and off for the remainder of the book. Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson is one of the best books that I have read all year. Not just because I cried my eyes out but also because I learned that forgiving isn’t just hard for me. It’s hard for everyone! Sean Morahan carried grief and pain for 40 years while Rebecca Moray could not forgive herself or look at her best friend for six. These characters jumped off the page to me, they were real. I imagined the town as a real place somewhere where there is ‘no safer place.’

 The main character, Rebecca, an archeologist specializing in textiles – which I personally find this amazing! Rebecca travels to tiny Fishing Island in Ireland. The island is the home of her best friend from college, Sharon. Sharon no longer lives on but in Dublin. Rebecca and her six-year-old daughter, Rowan go to the island for the summer to research a book on the fisherman’s sweaters and ganseys. To start each chapter is a quote from A Binding Love by R. Dirane, these magical little quotes give life to the book, the sweaters and to life.

Diagonal Ribbing1. A pattern created by twisting stitches. It appears as the deep furrows of a field on a diagonal and is used as texturing. 2. The nature of learning.

Rebecca and Sean, who I mentioned earlier, are holding on to the past so tightly that they can’t breath or move forward. Casting Off is the story of trying to move forward. I wish I could find my safe place and learn to love, let go and finally be free. Every one as fears, most people have something they need to be free of or to let go.

This is a 5 out of 5 a must read!

[Via http://redpipes.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment