Monday, January 18, 2010

A Weekend of Differences

Dear God. Has Dmitri come to this? When one of his prized possessions is a smoothie maker, and he’s even cooking from recipe books on a Sunday, has the mean-sprited, moaning, lazy good-for-nothing changed from that person they knew years ago? Probably. Hell, he even went to a West End Musical called Legally Blonde – and enjoyed it!!!

This is the sort of man who goes out to Asda on a Saturday night to bulk buy his dog’s food for the next six months. This is a man who buys frozen fruit and is alwys on the look out for new offers to make up his smoothies. This is a man who wonders if his dish is going to suffer because he replaced a dash of ginger with a dash of paprika. This is a man who now marinades his food for 24 hours, and loves home-baked bread. This is a man eschewing crisps, refusing alcohol and turning down requests to go to McDonalds. This is a man who wants to walk home from work, again!

I’ve gone odd.

Anyway, for those wondering what I cooked – I bet you don’t care really – it was this. I can report that the verdict from the beloved was that the sauce was delicious – and it was – but the chicken was a bit dry but not my fault – which it was and it was because I left it in the pan too long. However added to my performance the preceding week with this recipe where the chicken was moist, the sauce excellent, and the beloved delighted, I am now getting into this Sunday cooking lark and I am on the lookout for next week’s instalment. Who’d have thought it? A Dmitri Cookery Column.

Other news of life and stuff. I watched the first ever A-Team the other day (suppress your questions of why, I just did) and wondered who on earth it was playing Face? It appears his name is Tim Dunigan and he now works as a mortgage broker. Dirk Benedict came along later. All good fun… I picked up the DVD for the first series some months back for a couple of quid, so that’s why. I have Series 2 of The Wire, Series 1 of Homicide Life on the Streets, and innumerable sports stuff to watch, so plenty to be getting on with.

I’ve also reconnected with one of my school loves – no not some bird, as Dmitri went to an all boys school which introduced girls to the Sixth Form as some sort of strange social experiment to test out us strange people who thought all girls were evil, or some such thing. No, I mean history. I was good at it. I won the School Prize for best at history and promptly spent the book tokens on Garfield books! Just before Christmas Amazon were offering the Simon Schama History of Britain DVDs at a relatively lower price, so I bought them and have watched up to the death of Henry VIII (We have a mate at work, we should call him Henry IV, because he’s had three wives, so he’s half the man the old Henry was). I’m really interested in the medieval times, and since then have bought books on Edward I and Edward III, and also went to one of those awful cheapo stores and got a couple of Kings and Queens guides just to get myself back into it. Along with the 20 other new books I have, I doubt I’ll need any more to keep me going for a while.

Currently reading Frost / Nixon. I’ll go into that a bit more when I’ve finished it. Then I’ll watch the film (I still have the Anthony Hopkins film to watch too). People may know I’m fascinated by Nixon; much more than I am about JFK, or Barack Obama…. how could a man judged so unfavourably in hindsight (a) be president; and (b) win how he did in 1972? Watergate has always been an interest and I love All The President’s Men, the film that got me started. Frost’s attitude to Nixon now is very interesting, as is the book.

Finally, WindyBricks gave me the moment of the season so far, when DelBoy’s Irish relly equalised 20 seconds after the Sailors from the Solent had scored what looked like the winner deep in injury time. The manager of the Sailors, one Alan Absolutely Raped, is not one of my favourite characters for reasons I won’t go into now, except for the fact he’s a gobby prick. His face when the equaliser went in was a picture. An absolute picture. His notebook, which he ostentatiously made copious notes on during the game, went into orbit. His face was chewed up as if he’d eaten a dog turd. And all the while, I laughed, very loudly, at him. If ever a manager deserved that….

More later…..

[Via http://sevenandseven.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment