Friday, January 22, 2010

Favorite books - 2009

For the past few years, I’ve made one New Year’s resolution: Read 52 books this year. I was successful at it for a couple of years but the last two? Not so much. Anyway, I did read 25 books last year, which isn’t so bad. Here’s my top 10:

  1. An Edible History of Humanity by Tom Standage – You get to eat, be very grateful. It doesn’t taste like crap. We have it easy.
  2. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – The first in a post-apocalyptic young adult fiction trilogy. Bloody but amazing. Give a copy to your favorite Libertarian.
  3. Marley and Me by John Grogan – Deciding to love a dog is knowing someday your heart will break.
  4. I Love You, Miss Huddleston: And Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood by Philip Gulley – Silly stories about growing up, written by a Quaker minister. Hilarious, read when you are in the bed with the flu, it will cheer you up.
  5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins – The second in a post-apocalyptic young adult fiction trilogy. Bloody but amazing. Give a copy to your favorite Libertarian. I’m anxiously awaiting the third book.
  6. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer – The second in the Twilight Saga. I think that Bella and Edward are two of the most annoying characters ever. I want to slap them both but mysteriously I really liked this book, probably because Edward was absent for half of it.
  7. Holy Fools by Joanne Harris – She is one of my favorite authors, she also wrote Chocolat. Excellent as always.
  8. Locked Rooms by Laurie R. King – From the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series.  Some period fiction is awful but King spent her time in the library to make it good. Also, Sherlock Holmes! I love that dude! If you start the series read the first, The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, first.
  9. The Language of Bees by Laurie R King – Another from the Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series. Like all of them, it is a great combo of action and interesting characters.
  10. It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita by Heather B. Armstrong – This book definitely has some rough patches but it made me laugh out loud a lot so onto the list it goes! You should read it for her definition of marriage alone, which somehow involves demolishing mailboxes with baseball bats.

And you? What were the best books you read last year?

[Via http://asclepias.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment