Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How to Grow a Backbone: 10 Strategies for Gaining Power and Influence at Work

“If you can’t decide what you think, you’ll be at the mercy of others who can. That’s why people with backbone run things and people without complain” (167).

10 Strategies discussed in the book:

1. Get the Big Picture

2. Turn Meetings into Discovery Sessions

3. Become a Jotter

4. Get Eyes Wise

5. Expand and Contract: Your Thinking Must Change

6. Associate on Purpose

7. Play Columbo

8. Determine the Power Sources

9. Lose the Excuses

10. Decide What You Think and Say So

The Pros. The really nice thing about this book is the Introduction, because Marshall did a great job defining backbone, as she calls it “Backbone Basics.” The three major parts of the type of backbone to be discussed throughout the book was covered in the “Backbone Anatomy” section—competence, confidence, and risk taking. I would say the introduction was the most informative part of the book. The book was easy to read and well-organized; each strategy is divided into chapters and each chapters had sub-topics. What she had to said came through and the message was direct. The language was also simple and conversational.

There are also illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, where the man in the suit is doing something relevant to the strategy to be discussed. At the end of each chapter was a section called “Backbone-Building Exercises” where exercises for competence, confidence, and risk taking are based on the chapter. I also liked the quotes she used throughout the book. There weren’t a lot to cause a distraction but enough to keep the mind thinking and inspired; it created a nice break in between the reading.

The Cons. Although the stories she used were true and can be helpful, I found that the book could have been better if some of the stories were shorter. There were times I found some stories as unnecessary because it made her point harder to understand and made the reading a bit draggy. I ended up just skipping some and skimming through most. I also didn’t really understand Chapter 7: Play Columbo. Maybe because I don’t know who Columbo is *shrugs* but I spent a lot of time trying to understand her reasoning behind this chapter.

This wasn’t a book I would say, “It kept my nose in the book the whole time.” I would have liked to see more of managements’ point of view on what they see as desirable and what catches their attention about an employee.

Overall Comments. I wouldn’t discourage anyone from reading this book because there are still a lot of useful tips and information about each strategy. Marshall did a great job on stating who has a backbone and who doesn’t and how to identify them; you’ll notice this throughout the book. I appreciated the constant comparison because it made me reflect on my own habits and behaviors. I also do agree that we all need a firm backbone to gain power and be an influence where ever we are. Having a backbone will lead you to great opportunities instead of missing out and always complaining. The overall message: It starts with you.

Rating. 3.5/5 – This wouldn’t be a book I would rush to get but I will eventually add it to my collection.

**************************************************

For information of who Susan Marshall is check out this link: Susan Marshall: Google Profile (It turns out she lives in Wisconsin too and has been a guest lecturer at Alverno College! What are the odds eh…)

Works Cited.

Marshall, Susan. How to Grow a Backbone: 10 Strategies for Gaining Power and Influence at Work. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2000. Print.

[Via http://meexio.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment