Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Book Review: The Choice by Suzanne Woods Fisher

The Choice

by:  Suzanne Woods Fisher

ISBN:  978-0-8007-3385-8

You can purchase at Revell Publishing for the low price of $11.99!

 

Carrie Weaver is a young Amish girl torn between tradition and her heart’s desire to run off with Solomon Riehl.  Solomon is her Amish boyfriend who secretly plays baseball and plans to run off to join the team.  His desire is that Carrie leave her family and faith behind and follow him.  Although this sounds like a solid plot for a book, it is only the beginning of many turn of events and plot twists to come.   In one turn of events, Carrie’s father dies and this causes Carrie to change direction and possibly leave love behind for duty.  There are many other aspects that complicate this love affair like tradition, Carrie’s brother with hemophilia and a stepmother that rivals Cinderella’s.  This isn’t even half the story that unfolds before your eyes.  You are taken on a long journey with Carrie while she struggles to find love, faith and a place in the world.  She is a strong character determined to make a life for herself and her brother.

I throughly enjoyed every page of this book.  I was never bored and never tempted to skip ahead unless it was out of sheer excitement to see what would happen next.  Each time I thought I knew what would happen another twist or turn occurred.  My only mistake was starting this book while making dinner.  It’s very dangerous to cook and read a book this engrossing.  I finished the book in two days.  I was so sad to see it finally end.  However, I can now look forward to the next book in the series The Waiting, due out in October of 2010.  I can hardly wait!  I know I will read this book again before then.  I loved this book so much that I won’t loan it out.  Nope.  Not this one…buy your own! 

I have read criticism that villain in the book was a bit unrealistic and that some characters just serve the plot and are not part of a setting or true to the story.  There was also criticism of how many people died in the first part of the book to further along the plot.  Personally, I found the characters very real and endearing.  I found the villain of the story a bit over exaggerated but let’s not forget we are looking at this character through the lens of an Amish world.  The deaths that occur are sadly necessary for the plot to move ahead.  However, the deaths were not unrealistic it only appears they happened a bit close together.  I found the book truly delightful.  I think Suzanne Woods Fisher has a wonderful way with words and creates a world you feel you enter into with each turn of the page.    

bloggysig

[Via http://meanmamareviews.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment