Monday, October 26, 2009

The Principle Of The Path by Andy Stanley – Extended Review Part 3

This is the next part of my series of reviews about Andy Stanley’s new book The Principle Of The Path. If you haven’t read the previous parts of this series, check them out here:

Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers Review

Extended Review – Part 1

Extended Review – Part 2 – The Heart Of The Matter

Extended Review – Part 3 – My Italian Job

In these next few posts, I will take a closer look at a few of the chapters that spoke to me the most.

The Principle Of The Path

Chapter 7: The Story You Will Tell

What legacy will I leave for my children and others to follow? The path I choose by the decisions I make will contribute much more than we realize to that legacy.

Life is full of decisions that must be made in emotionally charged environments. And emotionally charged environments make it almost impossible to gain the perspective we need to make the decisions that keep us on the best paths to lead us to where we want to go.

When we make decisions under the weight of an emotionally charged circumstance, we make decisions that are “me-centered” rather than God-centered. We simply don’t have the clarity to make the best decisions to keep us on the path.

Decisions made in emotionally charged environments do not represent clear thinking, and can actually lead us down the wrong path. We can make decisions that seriously jeopardize our desired destination.

Andy Stanley states:

One never accomplishes the will of God by breaking the law of God, violating the principles of God, or ignoring the wisdom of God.

There are three questions that we can apply to every decision that comes our way:

     1. Does this option violate God’s law?

     2. Does this option violate a principle?

     3. In light of the story I want to tell (the legacy I want to leave),

         what is the wise thing to do?

The first two questions are pretty easy. A knowledge and understanding of God’s Word will help us to determine if God has already spoken about the matter, or if there are principles that apply to the situation.

The third question is a little tougher. It’s the wisdom question. How do you want to view this moment when you look back on it later in life? How do you want your kids and grandkids to view your decision? Stop and think. Where might this decision lead?

God’s will for you will always line up with his law, his principles, and his wisdom. Always. And making decisions in light of these three criteria can help you gain clarity even in the most emotionally charged circumstances.

And when I make decisions with the clarity to see God’s leading, I will make decisions that will ensure that the legacy I leave for my children, and further generations, is the right one.

No comments:

Post a Comment