Monday, July 20, 2009

Warrior Born

Hand-drawn cover? Nice.

Well, after taking a short hiatus from posting (from lack of views on my last posts ) I have decided to finally review another book.  Considering my last book review was all the way back on February 5, it has been a while.  Now, I have been a long-time fan of saber-scorpion.com.  In fact, behind thatguywiththeglasses.com and cinemassacre.com (reviews later!), this site is one of my favorites.  The propreiter of the site, Justin Stebbins has actually released two books exclusively on his site; G4M3 (pronounced “game”) and Warrior Born.  Now, I did not buy G4M3, because at the time I was skeptical of the price.  However, since I am a fan of his own sci-fi universe, Nova Refuge, I decided to buy the book based on it, titled Warrior Born.  (Or at least the shortened title anyways)  So, I payed $20 for the book and $3 for shipping and my newest edition to my book collection was on its way.  The book arrived shortly after I had finished reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, so it had some competition to make me enjoy this book as well as I had enjoyed Brave New World.  To tell the truth, I was skeptical.  I had read his fan fiction online, but didn’t know if he could turn those his short stories into a 400+ page book.  Luckily, I was happily surprised.  This book has now become one of my favorite books I have read.  Why?  Well, the characters are strong, the plot keeps your eyes glued to the page, descriptions of fights were well-written rather than a jumbled mess, the setting was cool, etc. etc. etc.  Really, I could go on about this book.  Even though the book started slow, once the action picked up I could not put this book down!  Carrying it to dinner, while working on my computer, even while waiting in the lobbies during online matches on Xbox Live!  Now, I am not a complete fanboy of Justin who just loves everything he makes, I really was skeptical at first.  But, once again, I was surprised at the way this book captured me and put me into the realm of Nova Refuge, making me wonder about the plot, care for the characters, and hope for the next installment of the series.  If you have $20 lying around and like books, I would reccomend buying it at novarefuge.com or saber-scorpion.com.

Sciborg: 94

Disagree?  Tell me in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment