Saturday, July 18, 2009

Book Review: "Jesus Calling"

I must admit, I’m usually not one to like devotional books.  I’ve read many over the years and hate the “fluff” that is found in many devotionals.  I find that what is given to the reader is a few short paragraphs that amount to “Christianity Lite” and I find I’m always looking for more.  As a reviewer for Thomas Nelson Publishers, though, I decided to give this devotional a try.

This devotional book, with a reading for each day of the year, is the most unique devotional I’ve ever read.  The author, Sarah Young, decided to listen to God daily with pen in hand, writing down whatever she believed He was saying to her.  The result is this book…with 365 messages from Jesus to the author.  What I like about this devotional is that it becomes a very personal read.  Written in the first person…the voice of Jesus…the words speak directly to your soul.  It’s like sitting down with Jesus over a cup of coffee and hearing what His words are for you for that day.  And it isn’t fluff.  It is a daily reminder of how to live in relationship with Jesus and how to let the Spirit flow through you.

If you desire a devotional book but want something just a little bit different than the typical devotional, I highly recommend this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment