Thursday, July 30, 2009

This n That

Remember the edit hurdle I wrote about a few days ago?  Well, I did it!  I pulled that memory to the surface and wrote the scene, making it the subject of the beginning of the book.  It wasn’t difficult.  I just needed to think it through.  Ninety percent of the time, when an editor suggests a change, points out a problem, or writes a comment about a scene or a chapter, they’re right.  Some editing is subjective, meaning that if you were to ask two editors, they might disagree.  However, a fresh set of eyes on your work is rarely a bad thing, which is why I try to always be a professional and accept that perhaps my work is not as perfect as I think it is.  ‘nuf said! Anyway, changed the beginning, and I gotta admit that it works better than I thought it would.  Plus it gives me a chance to introduce a character while he’s alive rather than after his demise, which is how it was.  That’s always a plus.  Easier to flesh out a living character than a dead one. My friend JT finished his exhaustive edit of his first novel, which I have very much enjoyed reading.  I’m dismayed, though because now I don’t have anything from him to read.  I read the final chapter on Tuesday.  *sigh*  JT’s story is a very good one set in a real time period disguised as a fake one in the future.  His hero is a young man barely out of high school who’s forced to grow up in a scant amount of time.  It’s an excellent coming-of-age story, war story, love story, and story of personal victory all rolled into one.  Well done, JT! I want to thank everyone who came to the blog and reviewed Cover Corner.  The traffic here over the past 2 days has been tremendous, and I sincerely hope it garners Mark some new fans and many sales.  So…thanks again! Okay, gotta run, the office beckons whether I want it to or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment