Wednesday, December 30, 2009

12 REASONS WHY I LOVE HER: Jamie S. Rich.

I <3 graphic novels and I <3 Jonathan (and Josh) for getting me to read way more than I was before. (My average was maybe ten comic books/graphic novels every twelve years.) This book is another reason I love graphic novels.

It’s not too long, it’s easy to read. It’s the same story we’ve heard/read/seen over and over for hundreds of years… but it’s also the reason we keep telling it. The book is made up of twelve vignettes illustrating Gwen and Evan’s relationship. It’s not overly-complex, it’s not new, but that might be why it’s enjoyable, in a way. You can guess what’s going to happen as soon as you meet the characters, but it’s watching the story unfold that is appealing.

Not that I know a ton about art, but the art is as simple as the story, and refreshingly so. The book is black and white, and Joelle Jones denotes the requisite sentimental flashbacks with rougher sketch-like panels which, again, is simple but effective.

The book isn’t pushing any envelopes, tearing down any walls, breaking any barriers, but sometimes that’s okay. Reading as much Preacher and Watchmen and Lone Wolf and Cub as I have been, simple can be nice, too.

[Via http://elitist.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment