Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thank Goodness for Bookstores

My weekend flew by. It was all about errands. I hit the super market, Borders, and a few other stops. I don’t know about you, but every time I go to a bookstore I get lost for hours. I was in Borders for three hours today and it felt like a half an hour. I start off in the Literature section. I gaze at my favorite classic titles lovingly. Lolita, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Shakespeare, Poe, Emerson, Whitman, and Lewis Carroll…just to name a few. Then I allow my eyes to graze over new titles and covers I’ve never seen and when one (or a few) catches my eye, my fingers strum through the pages. And more often than not, I add it to my basket. It finds a new home on my coffee table for a couple weeks until I finish it then it accepts it’s permanent home on my bookcase until I chose to lend it out to friends or reread it. 

From the Literature section I then stroll over to the Reference section to find the writer’s instructional books. I’ll grab one or two and then head over to the magazine section. Chose a few favorite literary journals and make my way to the cafe. Order my favorite beverage then find the biggest leather chair I can and get lost in the lines of my book choices. Sometimes I purchase the mags but mostly (to save a few bucks) I’ll write down the website, if I don’t already know it, and favorite the web page to reference in the future. Same goes for the writing books. I do purchase some but mostly I’ll jot things down and add them to my writing journals.

And before I know it….my afternoon is shot. Honestly I enjoy my bookstore time and I prefer to go alone. It’s a refuel for my soul. It’s important to renew yourself weekly I think. Whether it’s a steaming hot bath with a tall glass of red wine or a couple hours at a bookstore, finding yourself  BY YOURSELF is revitalizing. Try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment