Wednesday, May 6, 2009

IR Sci-fi/Fantasy

The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Well, yet another beloved series has come to an end (Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl [supposedly, though I'm holding out for more there], and now Percy Jackson).* It came out yesterday and I read it in one sitting (while my parents [unsuccessfully] wrestled with my kitchen sink - raise your hand if you’re a princess!). And, lo, it was awesome.

It’s time for the final showdown between Percy Jackson (aided by the rest some of the campers from Camp Half Blood) and Luke/Kronos. At stake? Manhattan. Oh, and Mount Olympus (on the 600th floor of the Empire State Building).

Big things happen - there are betrayals and deaths and real consequences to people’s choices and actions and triumphs and losses…and humor, too - no one does slapstick and wry observations like my Percy! I don’t want to give too much away, so I will just say that I was entirely satisfied with this ending (unlike Harry Potter’s stupid epilogue - yeah, I’m still bitter about that).

I’m sad to see Percy’s story come to an end. Riordan’s obviously planning a sequel to the Percy Jackson series if the prophecy at the end is any hint, but whether or not it’ll feature Percy and Co. again, I haven’t heard yet. Part of me hopes so because I’d like to see Percy and Annabeth and Grover and, grudgingly, Rachel, again, but Percy’s story has a good ending to it as it stands, so I’m not sure he needs more story.

My rating: A+

*So now I’m just looking forward to Skulduggery Pleasant (August 25, baby, I’ve already got it in Edward’s calendar - but what the hell is this?! Is this new?! Is this something I need?! Okay, no, I’m calming down, I think it’s just the paperback version of Skulduggery Pleasant, though why it’s called Scepter of the Ancients is beyond me - subterfuge and trickery, that’s what it is!). He’s all I’ve got left!

No comments:

Post a Comment