Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mortal Instruments 1: City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

So, when I first picked up City of Bones on my lunch break I was just looking for something to do. I got 25 pages in on the 1st day.. and wasn’t overly impressed. The next lunch break I tried again, and made it to page 53, and then it started to get interesting…

I wouldn’t say hooked. And I was still kind of disappointed. When Jase and Clary first met I though, and hoped, it would be a lovely whirlwind love story similar to Twilight. But to no avail. 

Have you ever read J.R Ward? Because The Mortal Instruments trilogy needs a dictionary in the front to refer back to, much like the Black Dagger Brotherhood series.

I cant give too much away as it is a series, not a one off, and I don’t want to ruin the series for anyone because of my spoilers.

Clary Fray lives in a 2nd level apartment with her mother, Jocylen Fray. Things start to get a little strange after her mother tells her she is taking her away for the summer to a farm house out on the country, but like every 15 year old girl, she doesn’t want to leave her friends behind for so long.

After a blow out with her mum, Clary stalks off with the long time devoted friend, Simon,  and they head to Pandaemonium for the under 18’s club. Clary starts seeing things, and it appears that she is the only one who can… After witnessing a cold blooded murder then the victim vanished into thin air, going home to her mothers house to find the placed trashed and her mother gone, things are a bit off. The murders start following her…

After meeting alot of new people and seeing alot of strange things, clary ends up staying at the Institution (its not as bad as it sounds) and learning alot of things about her mum that she was never aware.

So why is it called The Mortal Instruments trilogy…? Because there are 3 instruments, one in each book that holds a great power (think Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone). Clary needs to find the Cup to find her mother and get her released from the evil Valentine, who believes that all mixed bloods should be killed or turned into more Shadowhunters, and with the help of the cup his rule is within reach.

I was a bit disappointed by the predictability of the book, but I stuck at it, and it was still mildly interesting.. or perhaps it was more fulfilling…  Holly Blacks “Funny, dark & sexy” quote printed on the cover isn’t really correct. Though the fast paced plot and the readers’ constant need to remember what Shadow Hunters, Downworlders, the Circle, Mundanes,  etc etc.

Just brought the second one anyway, City of Ashes, because Im a sucker and I so very rarely leave a series unfinished. Plus I like the covers.

I wouldn’t reccomend anyone read it who is over the age of 20.. i would say about 14-16 would be the perfect age for this book. 

Keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment