Monday, March 1, 2010

A World Full of Gods by John Greer

I took my time reading this book because I really didn’t want to miss out on anything written in it.  First of all, a monotheist or an atheist does not write this book, it is written by a polytheist so we share a worldview.  And someone who always presents an interesting point of view no matter what subject he is writing about as is evident from his blog “The Archdruid Report” writes it.  Also I’m reading it at a time when I am trying to pinpoint what exactly are my beliefs about deity.  Needless to say it was a big help.

 

This book is not something that you should read only once.  I think that the more you learn about your belief on deity the more you will go back to it.  This is a book that is challenging the pagan community to start thinking of themselves as a RELIGIOUS movement rather than just a movement.  It is a really intelligent argument for polytheism.

 

From the very beginning Greer tells us that his is using Traditional Polytheist as the comparison point to classical monotheism, which I believe is a good thing considering all the diverse types of polytheism that we do have.  He reviews all the different arguments for and against theism and then he uses the principles of theology to explain the polytheistic worldview.  He talks about pagan worship (yes he uses this word which a lot of pagans think of as dirty), pagan spirituality, pagan ethics, and much, much more.

 

John Greer’s knowledge of ceremonial magic, Wicca, and Druidry really helps him in writing this book.  It is a must have in every pagan library in my opinion.    

 

[Via http://celticscholar.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment