Thursday, April 9, 2009

<i>The Reader</i> by Bernhard Schlink

Maybe it’s because I’ve just read One Hundred Years of Solitude, which I found to be an amazing read, but I didn’t find The Reader to be anywhere near as good as all the hype suggests. 

Unlike most of the people I’ve talked to about this book, my problem wasn’t with the relationship between Hanna and Michael.  Sure, I wouldn’t get involved with a mere boy, and I don’t understand why any woman would, but I know that it happens.  My problem was with Hanna’s big secret.  Not the reason for the trial, but the reason she was unprepared for it.   It just stretches my credulity that someone would allow themselves to be at that much of a disadvantage when being tried for that particular crime when admitting the problem would have gotten them some leniency.  Or, at the very least, some assistance.  Sorry if that last bit was convoluted, but I’m trying to be cryptic enough not to spoil it for everyone who hasn’t read the book or seen the movie.

The Reader is an okay book, and I plan on watching the movie when it comes out on DVD, but it isn’t great.

Rating:  3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment