Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Meet ...Success

Back to square one for me!

When the audio of the training started and Micheal Clouse was

asking “Can you without hesitation list the 5 principles” or

“What are the 6 ways to make people like you” (from the book

How to Win Friends and Influence People)

I realized that even though I had read the books (multiple times for

the The Fifth Principle-

I need to HEAR the music ONE MORE time until the answers

are automatic without hesitation.

Thank goodness for sound training, such as I have experienced with

our Team, that guides us for what we need to make our

business grow. And training that will help us to

succeed.

I think one of the most self defining moments in the past 5

months is when I was challenged to write down MY definition

to “Success”. So, I wrote down my definition.

I then visited my old Webster’s dictionary and gleaned some

knowledge:

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin successus, from succedere

Date: 1537

1 obsolete : outcome, result

2 a : degree or measure of succeeding b : favorable or desired outcome;

also : the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence

3 : one that succeeds

Ah, see, MY definition was all captured in the monetary. I was so

fixated on my “have nots” (the attainment of wealth, favor or eminence)

that I had completely missed the “obsolete” version of the word.

You know what the obsolete version means in a dictionary? It means that

culture has changed so much that a word has changed it’s meaning from

the original use.

(another example would be “gay” – which used to mean happy and carefree)

Well, I’m sorry, but I am a bit stubborn, and get a bit “riled up” when I find out

that something has been taken from me. And once again, I felt like

society had taken something away from me – and that was a definition of a word.

You see, the obsolete version of the word – the outcome or result IS what

success is all about. GETTING the success is REACHING the outcome

or result you have been striving for. REACHING your GOALS.

Oh darn – there is that WORD again. GOALS.

So, to truly know if you have reached success is to HAVE goals.

Well, here was something else I had to do – list all my goals. But, to have

a little fun with my brain I decided to list not only business goals, but

personal goals. And I started first by listing goals that I had 5 years ago.

Why did I list goals from my past? Well, I think, at least for me, I get

so focused on my here and now, that I don’t reflect enough on my

“where I’ve been” and see my results. Then, I get into the

mode of beating myself up for not reaching my “now” goals or not reaching

them fast enough.

Looking at my past SUCCESSES (I obtained the result or outcome I wanted)

gives me the boost of self confidence I need to know that I CAN reach

my goals and have SUCCESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment