Thursday, March 26, 2009

When I Don't Desire God - A Book Review

Few titles are this self-explanatory. But as usual, Piper doesn’t mince words.

This book could almost be described as a follow up to  “Desiring God”, where Piper introduces the concept of Christian Hedonism: God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

But what if you don’t feel like pursuing joy in God? Because indifference to the pursuit of joy in God is indifference to the glory of God, that would be sin.

As Augustine put it: “I was astonished that although I now loved you . . .I did not persist in enjoyment of my God. Your beauty drew me to you, but soon I was dragged away from you by my own weight and in dismay I plunged again into the things of this world. . as though I had sensed the fragrance of the fare but was not yet able to eat it.”

For 230 pages, Piper explains our problem and the solution, extols God’s character, encourages our hearts with the truth, and expounds on the gospel and our hope.

When I Don’t Desire God is a great book to go through as a group or as a devotional. While packed with truth and grand concepts, it can be grasped and understood by teenagers. But these truths are universal and speak to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment